PRESS INFORMATION



 
 


 

CLT-UFA acquires a 24.9% stake in German TV channel VOX from CANAL+

Luxemburg/Paris, May 11, 2000. CLT-UFA and CANAL+, market leaders respectively in Free and Pay-TV in Europe, concluded an agreement by which CLT-UFA acquired the 24.9% share in the German Free-TV channel VOX presently held by CANAL+.

Through this acquisition, CLT-UFA raises its direct and indirect share in the Cologne-based channel to a total of 99.7%. The remaining 0.3% is held by DCTP. This acquisition is part of CLT-UFA’s strategy to strengthen its position as the number one player in the Free-TV market through the purchase of controlling stakes in its channels.

CANAL +, for its part, clearly stated that, by selling its stake in VOX, it is focusing on its core businesses, namely the operation and distribution of Pay-TV channels as well as the production and distribution of services. Following its withdrawal from VOX, CANAL+ will, however, continue to be present in Germany through its subsidiary Multithématiques, which broadcasts the channels Planet and Seasons via cable and satellite within the programming package of Premiere World.

The German Cartel Office already agreed to the transaction. The acquisition price is DM 219 million.

CLT-UFA is the leading European broadcasting Group with shareholdings in 40 television and radio stations, most of which are market leaders (RTL Television in Germany, RTL Radio in France, HMG in the Netherlands). CLT-UFA also holds interests in numerous production and broadcasting rights distribution companies (including UFA Film – Film and TV Productions in Germany and UFA Sports in Europe). In the German Free-TV market, CLT-UFA is the owner of RTL Television (100%) and has stakes in RTL II (35.9%) and Super RTL (50%).

As the leading operator of Pay-TV channels in Europe, the entrepreneurial objective of CANAL+ is to become the leading multi-service provider in the European television market. With 14 million subscriptions in 11 countries, the CANAL+-Group is also the leading European producer of thematic channels, the third largest holder of audiovisual rights worldwide as well as Europe’s leading supplier of digital technology. Through its association with Vivendi in VivendiNet and within the context of the MAP-project (joint venture with Vodafone), CANAL+ also is a major player in the Internet sector.



* * * * * * *

For further information please contact:
RTL Group
Markus Payer
Head of Media Relations
Tel: (+352 42142-5020)
e-mail: markus.payer@rtl-group.com

CANAL+
Sylvie Ruggieri
Tel: +33 1 4425 1675
Fax: +33 1 44 25 19 53
e-mail: sruggier@canal-plus.com

Jean-Louis Erneux
Tel: +33 1 4425 7581
Fax: +33 1 4425 1823
e-mail: jerneux@canal-plus.com